Since the Saracen hordes first swept over the lower regions of the globe, much turmoil in the world has been the result of Islamic bloodlust. This is due to the fact that the faith of Islam, from its inception, sanctioned propagation by the edge of the sword. In witness of this fact one need only contemplate the flag of Saudi Arabia. On this banner is emblazoned the Muslim creed, “No God but Allah and Muhammad his Apostle,” while beneath is the image of the trademark Saracen sword, the crescent-shaped scimitar. Belligerence and aggression (jihad) is written into the very soul of Islam, and the religion only adds to the already fiery nature of the Arabs.
The Muslim rule of conquest was that “idolaters” (Hindus and animists) who did not convert were to be killed outright. On the other hand, “people of the Book” (Jews, Christians, and Zoroastrians) who would not accept the Prophet’s faith could be either killed or made second-class citizens* and heavily taxed. Muhammad himself set the example by waging holy wars and executing stubborn captives. His writings, the Quran, proclaimed, “When you meet the unbelievers in the battlefield, strike off their heads” (Sura 47:4). Other warlike scriptures were: “Those who avenge themselves when wronged incur no guilt” (Sura 42:40). “I (Allah) shall cast terror into the hearts of the infidels. Strike off their heads; maim them in every limb” (Sura 8:12). “Muhammad is the Apostle of Allah; those who follow him are ruthless to the unbelievers but merciful to one another” (Sura 48:29). “Allah has purchased the lives of the faithful and their worldy goods and in return has promised them the Garden. They will fight for His cause, slay, and be slain” (Sura 9:111). “As for those who are slain in the cause of Allah...He will admit them to the Paradise He has made known to them” (Sura 47:6). Scriptures such as these have proven to be a detriment to peaceful coexistence with non-Muslim neighbors and a hindrance to milder philosophies that might otherwise prevail.
*Tolerated minorities were reduced to the status of dhimmi. Muhammad imposed on conquered people his tutelage or dhimma, a contract by which they could continue to work the land under heavy taxation called jazia. In the ceremony of subjugation, the dhimmi was hit on the back of the neck to show his abased status. The dhimmi could not possess weapons, could not employ Muslims, could not ride a horse or camel, and could not marry a Muslim. His women had to go barefaced in public as a sign that they were slaves or whores. His place of worship could be used as a stable, and his home could not show any evidences of prosperity.
When the Prophet came into power in Medina, he issued this manifesto: “Different prophets have been sent by Allah to illustrate His different attributes: Moses His clemency and providence; Solomon His wisdom, majesty, and glory; Jesus Christ His righteousness, omniscience, and power - His righteousness by purity of conduct, His omniscience by the knowledge he displayed of the secrets of all hearts, His power by the miracles he wrought. None of these attributes, however, have been sufficient to enforce conviction, and even the miracles of Moses and Jesus have been treated with unbelief. I, therefore, the last of the prophets, am sent with the sword! Let those who promulgate my Faith enter into no argument nor discussion; but slay all who refuse obedience to the law. Whoever fights for the true Faith, whether he fall or conquer, will assuredly receive a glorious reward. The sword is the key of heaven and hell; all who draw it in the cause of the Faith will be rewarded with temporal advantages; every drop of blood shed of their blood, every peril and hardship endured by them will be registered on high as more meritorious than even fasting and praying. If they fall in battle, their sins will at once be blotted out, and they will be transported to Paradise, there to revel in eternal pleasures in the arms of black-eyed houris.”*
From these words came the Muslim maxim, “To convince stubborn unbelievers, there is no argument like the sword.”*
When Muhammad was criticized for raiding a caravan during a holy month, Allah issued this declaration through His Prophet: “They will ask thee concerning the sacred month, whether they may make war therein. Answer them that to make war therein is grievous, but to deny Allah, to bar the path of Allah against His people, to drive true believers from His holy temple, and to worship idols, are sins far more grievous than to kill in the holy months.”*
As to holy months and holy places of sanctuary, Muhammad decreed: “When the months wherein ye are not allowed to attack them have passed, kill the idolatrous wherever ye shall find them, or take them prisoners; besiege them, or lie in wait for them.”*
At the famous battle of Beder, Muhammad charged his army: “Fight, and fear not. The gates of Paradise are under the shade of swords. He will surely find instant admission, who falls fighting for the Faith.”*
*Life Of Mohammed by Washington Irving
Lesser scripture called the Hadith* has this to say: “The pinnacle of faith is the jihad (holy war).” In keeping with this sentiment, the Ayatollah Khomeini said, “The purest joy in Islam is to kill and to be killed in the name of Allah.” Similarly, Yasser Arafat declaimed, “We shall kill and be killed, we shall kill and be killed...our brothers, heroes of the Islamic jihad...We are all suicide bombers...We all seek death, suicide bombers on the way to the truth.” Prior to the Six Day War in 1967, King Hussein issued an order to his troops: “Kill the Jews wherever you find them. Kill them with your hands, with your nails, with your teeth.” Saddam Hussein’s son Udai Hussein promised in 1995 to kill all Jews in the next war thus: “to exterminate the last of them, on land, and not to throw them into the sea, because some of them know how to swim.”
Life magazine, December 1995, quoted basketball star Hakeem Olajuwon as saying: “Terrorism is not Islam. Bombing is not Islam. Racism is not Islam. The Nation of Islam is not Islam. In true Islam, what these people believe is called ignorance. Islam is about character - honesty, sincerity, righteousness. Islam is light.” Would that it were so, but the Holy Texts quoted above and the historical records of the Near East show otherwise. In some backward Islamic nations there are actually laws that sanction savage acts of persecution against citizens belonging to minority groups. And in these benighted lands, terrorists who destroy themselves along with their victims are actually venerated as holy martyrs by religious fanatics whose warped beliefs have corrupted their rationality as well as their sense of common decency.
All of this is in keeping with a statement of the Hadith: “The infidel is corrupt and a liar by his very nature, for he knowingly and obstinately denies the superiority of Islam.” Also, the Hadith connects the end of the world with a war of extermination against the Jews: “The Day of Resurrection shall not come, unless you go to war against the Jews. And the rock shall say, ‘Oh, Muslim, a Jew is hiding behind me. Come and kill him.’”
Egypt, Syria, and Iraq are the only countries in recent times to have used poison gas against civilian populations. In the 1960s Egypt attacked Yemen with mustard and phosgene gas. In Syria, cyanide gas was pumped
*The Hadith is a collection of sayings and deeds attributed to Muhammad and his companions, published in the ninth century.
into homes in 1982, killing 20,000 people. Then in 1988 the Iraqis slaugthered whole villages of Kurds with lethal gasses. Stockpiles of lethal chemicals are maintained by these nations, as well as by Libya.
Nowhere is the violent nature of Islam more apparent than in the region known to the world as the Holy Land. This is the land of the Bible, and because of that Book’s great influence, the territory is seen as the Jewish homeland. The Arab armies took Jerusalem in 638 A.D., but Christendom has never accepted the desert dwellers’ presence there. In medieval times the Western nations launched the Crusades, sending troops on a holy mission of God to dislodge the interlopers from the Holy Land. More recently, during the first twenty-five years of Israel’s existence, the United States has provided nine billion dollars worth of aid to that beleagured people.
Because of the Jews, gardens now bloom in what were sandy deserts. During their time of occupation of the Holy Land, the Arabs turned it into a wilderness and kept its society in a backward state. Then when the Jews returned and created the state of Israel, they set about improving what had been destroyed and wasted. As a consequence, much of the land has been reclaimed and made to be productive. It is apparent that the Jews revere the land, while the slothful, grasping bedouins only ravage it, overgrazing with their goats and destroying natural resources. Also, graft, corruption, baksheesh, and “ballyhoo” are a normal part of Arab culture.* But, by contrast, Israel is a free democracy in a backward region where most of the Arab regimes are totalitarian and where the press is strictly controlled. Outstripping her backward neighbors, Israel is among the fifteen richest countries in the world. In 1999 the gross national product of tiny Israel exceeded that of Egypt, Syria, Jordan, and Lebanon combined. And yet, despite their impoverished state, a 1994 study showed that the Arab nations accounted for 43 percent of the world arms trade.
Former Prime Minister Golda Meir understood the mind of the Muslim. She said, “I never for a moment doubted that the real aim of the Arab countries had always been, and remains today, the total destruction of the State of Israel, and that even if we withdrew far beyond the 1967 borders, to some tiny enclave, they would still try to destroy us.” PLO leader Yasser Arafat affirmed this in 1980 in a newspaper quotation: “Peace for us means the destruction of Israel.”
*“Baksheesh!” is the beggar’s cry for a handout, and “ballyhoo” is the b’ullah hu (“By Allah it is” - genuine or unadulterated) of the crooked bazaar merchant.
MUSLIMS AND NAZIS
Because Hitler hated the Jews, he was and is a hero in the eyes of many Muslims. During the Second World War, the mufti of Jerusalem, Haj Amin al-Husseini, avowed: “There is a definite similarity between the principles of Islam and the principles of Nazism.” Also, during that war, Egyptians supplied Rommel with intelligence, and after the war they gave asylum to war criminals. In 1953 president Anwar Sadat wrote a letter to an Egyptian newspaper that began, “Dear Hitler, I bless you with my whole heart...” Then when he appeared before the Knesset, Sadat wore a tie covered with swastikas. Both Germans and Arabs published and circulated Mein Kampf and the spurious tract called The Protocols of the Elders of Zion. Arab troops typically wear Wehrmacht helmets, use the Totenkopf (skull) symbol, and perform the goose-step march. An Arab myth has long been in circulation to the effect that Hitler did not die and will one day return to liberate Palestine.
When war criminal Adolf Eichmann was captured, a Jordanian newspaper praised him for helping annihilate six million “members of the race of dogs and monkeys.” Structural similarities between Muslims and Nazis are many:
Dar al-Islam (House of Islam) Der Vaterland (The Fatherland)
Umma Muhamadia Reich (Omnipotent German Rule)
(Nation of Muhammad)
Ta’a (Obedience to the Ruler) Führerprinzip (Absolute Tyranny)
Jihad (Urge to Conquer) Kampf (Struggle for Power)
or Blitzkreig (Lightning War)
Dar al-Harb (House of War) Drang nach Osten (Eastward Urge)
or Lebensraum (Living Space)
Dhimmi (low class people) Aryan Supremacy, Super Race
Hatred of Jews Judenrein (Jewish Extermination)
Absolutist Government Totalitarianism
THE MANDATE OF ISLAMIC CONQUEST
Excerpts from Sayings Of The Ayatollah Khomeini
Holy war (jihad) means the conquest of all non-Moslem territories. Such a war may well be declared after the formation of an Islamic government worthy of that name, at the direction of the Imam or under his orders. It will then be the duty of every ablebodied adult male to volunteer for this war of conquest, the final aim of which is to put Koranic law in power from one end of the earth to the other. But the whole world should understand that the universal supremacy of Islam is considerably different from the hegemony of other conquerors. It is therefore necessary for the Islamic government first to be created under the authority of the Imam in order that he may undertake this conquest, which will be distinguishable from all other wars of conquest, which are unjust and tyrannical and disregard the moral and civilizing principles of Islam.
Islamic faith and justice demand that within the Moslem world, anti-Islamic governments not be allowed to survive. The installation of a lay public power is equivalent to actively opposing the progress of Islamic order. Any nonreligious power, whatever form or shape it may take, is necessarily an atheistic power, the tool of Satan; it is part of our duty to stand in its path and to struggle against its effects. Such Satanic power can engender nothing but corruption on earth, the supreme evil which must be pitilessly fought and rooted out. To achieve that end, we have no recourse other than to overthrow all governments that do not rest on pure Islamic principles, and are thus corrupt and corrupting, and to tear down the traitorous, rotten, unjust, and tyrannical administrative systems that serve them. That is not only our duty in Iran, but it is also the duty of all Moslems in the world, in all Moslem countries, to carry the Islamic political revolution to its final victory.
In certain cases deception is necessary for the maintenance of Islam and of religion in general; without it faith could not survive.
If the punitive laws of Islam were applied for only one year, all the devastating injustices and immoralities would be uprooted. Misdeeds must be punished by the law of retaliation: cut off the hands of the thief; kill the murderer instead of putting him in prison; flog the adulterous woman or man. Your concerns, your “humanitarian” scruples are more childish than reasonable.
SURA 8: THE SPOILS OF BATTLE
This chapter of the Quran was composed by Muhammad following the Battle of Badr in 624 A.D. Events leading up to this conflict were as follows. Two years after the Prophet’s flight to Medina, he saw that a new source of revenue was needed, besides the taxes he had levied on the city. Thus he resolved to plunder caravans as they passed on their way to Mecca. After a year of futile attempts, he took advantage of a holy month, in which no raiding was allowed, to loot a caravan. This violation of the season of peaceful commerce caused a great scandal in Arabia and also resulted in a blood feud with the relatives of those the Muslims had killed. A few months later, when he sent a band of 319 men to take another caravan, they were met by a Meccan force of almost a thousand. At the start of the battle, the Prophet threw sand and dirt toward the enemy, as though blinding their eyes (later called a miracle). The result of the conflict was the first great victory for the Muslims in what has been called the Battle of Badr. (A year later the Meccans assembled an army of about three thousand men and got their revenge by defeating the Muslims. The Meccans, considering their task finished when they had killed as many as those who had fallen at Badr on their side, instead of pursuing their victory went home. This was to prove a grave mistake on their part, for they were finally overcome by the Muslims.) (Ref. Encyclopædia Britannica, 1957, article “Mohammed.”)
In the name of Allah, the Compassionate,the Merciful.
1. They ask you (O Muhammad) about the spoils. Say to them, “The (division of the) spoils belongs to Allah and the Apostle.* Therefore, fear Allah and end your disputes. Obey Allah and His Apostle, if you are true believers.”
2. The true believers are those whose hearts are filled with fear at the mention of Allah, and whose faith grows stronger as they listen to His revelations (by the Apostle). They are those who put their trust in their Lord,
3. Who observe the stated hours of prayer, and give alms of what We have given them.
4. Such are the true believers. They shall be exalted in grades (of honor) and pardoned by their Lord, and a generous reward shall be theirs in time to come.
5. Your Lord called you (Muhammad) to leave your home (in Medina) to fight for truth, but some of the faithful were reluctant.
6. They argued with you (Muhammad) about the truth that had been revealed (the decision to raid the caravan), as though they were being led to certain death.
7. Allah promised to grant you victory over one of the two bands (either the unarmed caravan or the relief force from Mecca), but you wanted to fight the one that was unarmed. Allah sought to manifest His truth and to sever the root (maim the hindermost parts) of the unbelievers,**
8. So that truth would triumph and falsehood would perish, though the sinners were opposed.
9. When you prayed to your Lord for help, He answered, “I am sending to your aid a thousand angels in their ranks.”
10. By this good news Allah sought to reassure your hearts, for victory comes only from Allah. He is Mighty and Wise.
*Muhammad got a fifth of the spoils (8:41).
**Cf. 1 Sam. 18:27, Gal. 5:12, Phil. 3:2, also, scalping as a battle trophy.
11. He made a slumber (a trance) fall upon you as a token of His protection. He sent down water from the sky to cleanse you and to remove from you the fear of Satan, to strengthen your hearts and to steady your feet.
12. Allah revealed His will to the angels, saying, “I shall be with you. Give courage to the believers. I shall cast terror into the hearts of the infidels. Strike off their heads and (maim them) cut off even their fingertips!”*
13. Thus We punished them because they defied Allah and His Apostle. He that defies Allah and His Apostle, behold! Allah is severe in punishment.
14. We said to them, “Feel Our scourge and know that hellfire awaits unbelievers.”
15. O you believers, when you meet the armies of the infidels, do not turn your backs to them in flight.
16. For if anyone in battle turns his back to the foe, except in maneuvering or to join with another band, he shall merit the wrath of Allah, and hell will be his home, and a dreadful journey thither.
17. It was not you (Muslims), but Allah, who slew the men.* It was not you (Muhammad) who cast it (gravel into their eyes), but Allah cast it, so that He might test the believers by a fair test from Him. Behold! Allah is the Hearer and the Knower.
18. through 75. (remaining verses)
*Divine sanction of slaughter: note resemblance to Hindu scripture, in these selections from the Bhagavad Gita:
And Lord Krishna spoke to him saying: Arjuna, is this hour of battle the time for scruples and fancies? Are they worthy of you, who seek enlightenment? Any brave man who merely hopes for fame or heaven would despise them....
Bodies are said to die, but that which possesses the body is eternal. It cannot be limited, or destroyed. Therefore, you must fight...
Death is certain for the born. Rebirth is certain for the dead. You should not grieve for what is unavoidable...
Even if you consider this from the standpoint of your own caste-duty, you ought not to hesitate, for to a warrior (kshatriya caste), there is nothing nobler than a righteous war. Happy are the warriors to whom a battle such as this comes; it opens a door to heaven...
But if you refuse to fight this righteous war, you will be turning aside from your duty. You will be a sinner, and disgraced. People will speak ill of you throughout the ages. To a man who values his honor, that is surely worse than death. The warrior-chiefs will believe it was fear that drove you from the battle. You will be despised by those who have admired you so long. Your enemies, also, will slander your courage. They will use the words which should never be spoken. What could be harder to bear than that? Die, and you win heaven. Conquer, and you enjoy the earth. Stand up now, son of Kunti, and resolve to fight. Realize that pleasure and pain, gain and loss, victory and defeat, are all one and the same. Then go to battle. Do this and you cannot commit any sin...
Therefore, strike. Win kingdom, wealth, and glory. Arjuna, arise, O ambidextrous bowman. Seem to slay. By me these men are slain already. You but smite the dead, the doom-devoted heroes...Fight, and have no fear. The foe is yours to conquer.
MOSLEMS AND MORMONS
There are many similarities between the religions of the Moslems (Muslims) and the Mormons. Some of these amazing resemblances are:
1. Both religions came into history in relation to and as a development of Christianity (in 622 and 1830 A.D.), and both were deemed heretical and repudiated by orthodox Christians.
2. Both religions were born in violence and reciprocal bloodshed. Both committed massacres. Muhammad had six hundred Jewish males beheaded in 627. Mormons slaughtered one hundred twenty-seven people in a wagon train bound for California at Mountain Meadows, Utah, in 1857.
3. Both originated when a new and greater Prophet (Muhammad or Jo-seph Smith) spoke at the direction of a heavenly messenger (Gabriel or Moroni).
4. Both produced a sacred scripture beyond the Bible (the Quran or the Book of Mormon).
5. Both exalted a holy city situated in the heart of the desert (Mecca or Salt Lake City).
6. Both centers were ruled by an autocratic hierophant (Caliph or President).
7. Both Prophets prohibited wine and practiced polygamy.
8. Both Prophets were unlettered:
Edward Gibbon called Muhammad “an illiterate barbarian.”
Mark Twain called Joseph Smith “an ignorant savage.”
9. Both Prophets had convenient visions whenever the need arose.
10. Both Prophets believed that the end of the world was at hand.
Conclusion: Muhammad would have made a good Latter Day Saint!
THE CHRISTIAN ANSWER TO MUSLIM MILITANCY
Over seven hundred years before the birth of Christ, a prophet spoke of Him as “the Prince of Peace.”
For unto us a Child is born; to us a Son is given. And the government will be upon His shoulder. And His name will be called “Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.” Isaiah 9:6
Although they acknowledge Christ as a Prophet, the Muslim people have never accepted the essence of His message as the Prince of Peace. They speak much of “peace” in their common greeting, salam, but they have made few attempts to curb their militancy.
The Sermon on the Mount expresses the highest ethic known to mankind. With respect to violence and war, the clear teaching of the Prince of Peace is as follows:
You have heard that it was said to the men of old, “You shall not kill, and whoever kills shall be liable to judgment.” But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother shall be liable to judgment...You have heard that it was said, “An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.” But I say to you, Do not resist one who is evil. But if anyone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if anyone sues you and takes your coat, let him have your overcoat as well. And if anyone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. Give to him who begs from you, and do not refuse him who would borrow from you. You have heard that it was said, “You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.” But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven. For He makes His sun to rise on the evil and the good and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. For if you love those who love you, what reward should you have? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? And if you salute only your brothers, what more are you doing than others? Do not even the Gentiles do the same? Matthew 5:21-22a,38-47
When this pattern of behavior is finally practiced among men, there will be no more war, for it requires some amazing things:
Love your enemy!
Do not be angry with your brother!
Turn your other cheek to the smiter!
Go the second mile with your oppressor!
When a lawyer takes your coat, give him your overcoat as well!
This religion, Christianity, far surpasses Judaism and Islam, both of which allow revenge. The old Hebrew maxim of “an eye for an eye” is a Law of Retaliation (Lex Talionis), which is only a little higher than the Law of the Jungle. Also, nothing in the Quran touches or even comes close to the Christian ideal of selfless (agape) love.
The verse “Vengeance is mine” is found in both the Old and the New Testaments.
Vengeance is mine, and recompense, for the time when their foot shall slip, for the day of their calamity is at hand, and their doom comes swiftly. Deuteronomy 32:35
Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written, “Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.” Romans 12:19
In the Hebrew Scriptures this warning means, “I, Jehovah, hate all enemies of the Jews, and I will slaughter them.” In the Christian Scriptures it means something else entirely, “Do not take revenge, for I, God, will make all things right in eternity.”
Man is a killer ape. The worst enemy of mankind is not natural disasters, pestilence, or famine; it is man himself. The entire history of mankind is bathed in blood. Only one ideal is capable of converting this bipedal beast into a kind and merciful person, and that is the high ideal of Christian morality. Likewise, only one ethic is capable of civilizing and taming the wild bedouin warrior, dehumanized by Islamic bloodlust, and that is the Christian message of love.
QUESTIONS FOR MUSLIMS IN AMERICA
1. Muslims worship freely in America. Why are Christians not allowed to build churches and practice their religion openly in Muslim lands?
2. Muslims are free to visit Christian holy places. Why are Christians not allowed to visit the holy sites of Mecca and Medina?
3. Americans defended and saved the lives of Muslims in Bosnia. Is it fair to say that the effort to stop terrorism is anti-Muslim?
4. The United Nations includes Muslim countries in its membership, and this world body voted to create Israel in 1947. Why, therefore, is it wrong for America to support the existence of Israel?
5. Does a suicide bomber, who kills innocent people, merit paradise?
6. Does the Muslim cry of “Death to America!” mean “death to all of the American people” or “death to America’s democratic government” or “death to Christianity” or just “death to those Americans who support Israel?”
7. Religion should place a high value on human life, so why are killing and calling for death to non-Muslims good deeds in the Islamic religion?
8. Freedom of speech and freedom of the press in America allow writers to criticize religion and government, and this free exchange of ideas promotes human progress. Why is it good and proper for Muslim clerics to issue death sentences (fatwas) against authors who point out weaknesses in Islamic society?
9. In the wake of Islamic terrorist attacks, interfaith gatherings to pray for peace have been held in some American cities. The Christians who take part in these meetings seek friendly dialogue on the basis of the idea that Muslims are “people just like us.” However, since the Christian Gospel is based on love (of God and of fellow men), while the chief teaching of Islam is submission (to God and to Fate - Kismet) - even to the point of killing those holding other opinions - how can the two philosophies be thought compatible?
10. If Muslims are indeed “people just like us,” why has there been no great outcry against the slaughter of Americans on 9-11-01, but instead, celebration in Muslim lands? Why has no Muslim revealed the hiding place of the cowardly plotter Osama bin Laden?
11. Where is the honor in the taking of civilian hostages by Islamic organizations and governments? How can underhanded practices be blessed by God? Is there no sense of decency in repeated deviations from the accepted rules of war?
12. How can Muslims live at peace with non-Muslims, when the Quran commands the use of the sword against all unbelievers? Quotations from the Quran: “When you meet the unbelievers in the battlefield, strike off their heads” (Sura 47:4). “Those who avenge themselves when wronged incur no guilt” (Sura 42:40). “I (Allah) shall cast terror into the hearts of the infidels. Strike off their heads; maim them in every limb” (Sura 8:12). “Muhammad is the Apostle of Allah; those who follow him are ruthless to the unbelievers but merciful to one another” (Sura 48:29). “Allah has purchased the lives of the faithful and their worldly goods and in return has promised them the Garden (Paradise). They will fight for His cause, slay, and be slain” (Sura 9:111). “As for those who are slain in the cause of Allah...He will admit them to the Paradise He has made known to them” (Sura 47:6).
13. Palestine was an impoverished desert land with a corrupt government before the establishment of Israel. In 1999 the gross national product of tiny Israel exceeded that of Egypt, Syria, Jordan, and Lebanon combined. Why cannot Palestinians see that they are much better off in a prosperous, democratic society?
14. The doctrine of male supremacy has condemned Muslim women to servanthood and oppression. The Quran says, “Men have superiority over women, because Allah has made the one superior to the others, and because they spend their money to maintain them. Good women are obedient. They guard their unseen parts, because Allah has guarded them. As for those from whom you fear disobedience, admonish them and send them to beds apart and beat them. Then if they obey you, take no further action against them. Allah is high, supreme.” (Sura 4:34) When will Islam join the civilized world in recognizing the rights and status of women?
15. How can respect be given to a man, calling himself “the Apostle of God,” who organized and led bandit raiders that killed traveling merchants and plundered their goods?
16. How can respect be given to a man who killed prisoners and sold families into slavery after conducting tribal warfare?
17. How can respect be given a man who condemned to death anyone who wrote critical things against him?
18. How can respect be given to a man who allowed his followers to take four wives, but then took more than twenty wives and secluded them from public contact?
19. How can respect be given a man who lusted after the wife of his adopted son and added her to his harem?
20. Should a religious leader set an example of good behavior, or should he make personal exceptions for his bad behavior?
MY STAND ON THE WAR
1. Islam is an evil religion. It worships a God of wrath, fear, caprice, pessimistic fatalism, and arbitrary dictatorship. It was founded by means of deception, coercion, and conquest. It teaches an inferior ethic of retaliation, subjugation of women and minorities, polygamy, harsh penal laws, bloody animal sacrifices, superstition, and infantile rituals. It fosters corrupt, despotic governments and repressed human rights.
2. Islam promotes fundamentalism and militancy as its normal expressions. Its fundamentalism demands that the Quran be accepted literally and without question. Its militancy means that Muslim moderates must rise above their defective Scripture, which commands the use of the sword as a religious duty (- just as peace-loving Jews must overlook the sanctioning of mass slaughter and genocide in their Scriptures.)
3. Since the demise of communism, the greatest threat to world peace is militant Islam.
4. While recognizing the right of all people to their own religious beliefs, it is necessary to identify those beliefs that are inherently dangerous and degrading to human socieity. Such is Islam.
5. Terrorists are criminals, no matter what their cause. Targeting innocent victims is inhuman behavior and merits no better treatment than that given a rabid dog. Mass murderers should be brought to justice as enemies of the human race.
6. The militant Islamic threat must be confronted, but at the national level, the judgment of guilt and the decision to apply penalties or authorize military enforcement is the prerogative of the global community as a whole, i.e., the United Nations.
7. Unilateral action without the sanction of the United Nations is unlawful activity.
8. Rule of Law must remain the highest consideration of all civilized people.
9. The United States is now an outlaw nation, just as is the country of Iraq.
10. The unilateral action of the United States in its aggressive invasion of Iraq in the face of worldwide opposition is a radical reversal of this nation’s foreign policy - never to strike the first blow. It is also a rejection of the high ideals of Christianity upon which this nation was founded.
11. Taking the low ground in starting this war ignores the ancient admonition, “In fighting a dragon, beware lest you become a dragon.” America, as the world’s superpower, should be setting the example for best behavior. Instead, it is on its way to becoming a domineering bully and an imperialistic tyrant.
12. America’s rationale for starting the war is pure hypocrisy: declaring war on Iraq for ignoring United Nations resolutions, all the while ignoring the United Nations’ prohibitions against making the war.
13. The President of the United States has been totally inept in staging this war. He should have been building a strong coalition of friendly powers, instead of offending former allies with his arrogance and lack of diplomacy. The world now hates America because of its preference for military action over diplomacy, double standards in trade policy, and rejection of United Nations resolutions and treaties most countries want (global warming, landmine removal, rights of women and children, and the International Criminal Court).
14. The President is so caught up in his war that he seems unconcerned that the American economy is in dire straits. The terrorist threat has inflicted a heavy toll on the economy, and his huge war debt, added to his government’s monstrous deficit, and his creation of the biggest, most expensive federal government in history, can only make life more miserable for the average citizens of this nation.
15. Americans who love this country and what it stands for should seek to effect a change in leadership.
Richard L. Atkins
MARK TWAIN ON PALESTINE
For those who are undecided on the Israeli-Palestinian struggle, I would refer them to Mark Twain’s The Innocents Abroad. Here are some of his thoughts after travel to that region: “Of all the lands there are for dismal scenery, I think Palestine must be the prince...Palestine sits in sackcloth and ashes...Rags, wretchedness, poverty, and dirt, those signs and symbols that indicated the presence of Moslem rule more surely than the crescent-shaped flag itself, abound.”
This quotation, and many others provided in Mark Twain’s book, may be too candid for many sensitive ears today, for the onus of political correctness nowadays squelches honest observation and truthful judgment. The fact of the matter, however, is that Muslim rule still means oppression and stifled progress. One has only to contrast the desolation of the Palestine of Mark Twain’s era to the productive fertility of Israel today to see that the right kind of people in a land can make a difference in its prosperity and its enlightened spirit.
Richard L. Atkins
MANDATE TERRITORIES AFTER WORLD WAR I
The League of Nations established the administration of former territories of the German and Ottoman empires as an agent, or mandatory, of the League.
TERRITORY MANDATE NATION
Palestine (until 1948) Great Britain
Trans-Jordan (until 1946) Great Britain
Iraq (until 1932) Great Britain
Syria and Lebanon (until 1941) France
Tanganyika Great Britain
Cameroons (large section) France
Cameroons (small section) Great Britain
Togo (large section) France
Togo (small section) Great Britain
Rwanda -Urundi Belgium
Southwest Africa Union of South Africa
Samoa New Zealand
New Guinea Australia
Wester Pacific islands N. of equator Japan
Nauru (Pacific island) Great Britain
Mandates all became Trusteeships under the United Nations.